Commission road safety charities to run driver training courses
In setting this commitment, the PCC was mindful of the need to reach beyond only educating drivers caught breaking the law, such as by speeding or jumping red lights.
Instead, he sought to reach a wider pool of drivers to educate them, refresh and enhance their skills, and ultimately improve the standard of driving on our roads and reduce road traffic casualties.
Dorset OPCC is an active member of Dorset Road Safe. Dorset Road Safe is a partnership designed to reduce the numbers of road traffic casualties on Dorset’s roads, with a focus on education, enforcement and engineering. Education continues to be developed and includes:
- Driver Awareness Scheme – a classroom-based course for drivers detected committing a road traffic offence on Dorset’s roads and offered an education course as an alternative to a fixed penalty.
- Learner and New Drivers – free Life Drive sessions available to younger drivers to improve their confidence through interactive theory and practical driver training.
- Motorcycle Training – the Bike Safe initiative allows riders to have their riding assessed by a police Advanced Motorcyclist followed by a debrief, advice and guidance.
- Cycle Training – in partnership with local authorities, Bikeability provides practical skills and confidence for riding on our roads across three levels.
- Driving for work – advice, guidance, assessments and education sessions for people who drive for a living.
- Schools and Colleges – a variety of options including Safety Training and Education for Pedestrians (STEPS), Schools Road Safety (3-14-year-olds), RoadWise and Safety Village Tours (5-14 year olds), Safe Drive Stay Alive (15-year-olds and over), Dying to Drive and Dying to Ride (teenagers).
- Young Farmers – interactive workshops aimed at members of the Young Farmers Club, with a specific emphasis on working with agricultural machinery.
- Military Presentations – interactive workshops developed specifically for members of the Armed Forces.
- Child Car Seat Checks – a range of free sessions organised throughout the year and across the county providing expert advice on the correct fitting of child car seats.
Dorset Police also continues to run their annual summer and winter drink and drug driving campaigns, alongside ideas such as the recent ‘Choices for Humanity’ campaign encouraging road users to make better choices.